Tuesday 24 September 2013

We Go Way Back

On top of my hobby of knitting, I've been super sucked into Ancestry lately.  It started as an innocent curiosity about a month ago, and I've since expanded my tree to a total of 586 people so far (yes, I have an insanely huge family), started a paid membership, and have spent quite a bit of time (both and work and at home) trying to find new things.

Today I made one hell of a discovery.  My mom had added her many, many, many cousins on her dad's side, as well as her aunts and uncles, for me.  I noticed that one of her aunts was a Clifton before she got married - and it just so happens that my dad's mom comes from the Clifton family as well.  Not only that, but they all originate, at some point or another, in southern Alberta.  So I pointed that out to my mom, and she said she'd always wondered whether there was a relation... and I instantly became determined and knew I would have to find out!  I quickly messaged my mom's cousin Sharon (the one who's mom was a Clifton) and asked for her mom's parents' names.  Luckily she knew them, and I added their names to my tree.  Immediately Robert's name (her grandfather) came up with a hint!  YES!  I clicked it and one of the hints was someone else's tree complete with a picture!!!  I sent the picture on to Sharon, who confirmed that it was definitely her grandfather!  Awesome!!!  So, I searched my tree for anyone with the same name.  There was another Robert Clifton, but the years didn't line up right, so I assumed it was the younger Robert's namesake.  Thanks to Ancestry hints, though, I quickly found the connection between my dad's Clifton's, and my mom's cousin's.

I am indeed related to those cousins in more than one way!  Sharon's great-great-grandfather, John Clifton, is also my dad's great-great-grandfather.  Small world... especially if you come from a long line of LDS people who, at some point, lived in/were born in/grew up in southern Alberta!

And now, off to make some more discoveries!

No comments:

Post a Comment