Friday 27 September 2013

Progress All Around

Knitting at work is probably the greatest decision I've ever made. Also, having a job where I have some time for it is even better! Since starting my first pair of socks ever on Saturday (or was it Sunday?) I'm about half way through the first sock. I would probably be a lot further if I had been bringing my actual copy of Getting Started Knitting Socks to work with me, but since I already haul too much stuff back and forth I've been snapping pictures of the pattern on my phone and going from that. So I can only get so much done in a day, doing it that way. Luckily I'm reading Wicked for the third or fourth time, so don't worry...it's not like I have nothing to do when I'm not knitting!

Anyway, I've just passed the heel on my first sock, which I've heard from some other knitters is the most frustrating part of socks...and well, so far, so good! I'm actually pretty pleased with them so far!


The best thing about knitting at work is that I'm getting two projects done at once. I don't normally like to bounce between projects, because one always ends up being forgotten, but if I keep one at work and one at home I think I'll do okay.

At home I'm working on a Jake the Dog hat, which (like most of what I make) is from my own pattern. It's probably the most complicated thing I've come up with on my own, but it's not too bad (at least I don't think so).

I had been planning on selling it in my shop, but my 5 year old is really excited about it and asked me if he could have it. I know it's an item that would sell (I have yet to sell anything online yet!) but I may just give in to his adorable charms and let him have it...and then I can make another to sell. Or vice versa! We'll see!

The other day I managed to sew Jakes nose onto his jowls. All that's left is to sew that onto the hat, as well as the eyes and ears, and we're golden!


I'm super excited about a book I got last night too. My favorite section of Indigo is the knitting one...although I rarely pick out a book I have to buy. I like to make my own patterns most of the time. But I saw this and I had to have it.


Right? It has the patterns for the cute things on the front, but mostly I wanted it for the charts! It has charts for both upper and lower case letters for a handful of fonts, and all I could think of was all the possibilities for personalized projects!! As usual, I think I'll test drive it with something for my son, and if all goes well maybe I'll offer up personalization in my Etsy shop (and of course via Facebook, etc).

Now, not only can I knit all the things, but I can also knit all the names!!!!

1 comment: