Wednesday 4 December 2013

Pumpkin Pasta Sauce


Yes, it's sounds weird.  But this is what I made for dinner last night, and it was seriously delicious.  Definitely something worth trying!

Here is the original recipe, which I got in a regular email from Allrecipes.  I was immediately intrigued, and I was so pleased with the results that I figured I'd share with you guys!

I did make a few changes though.

My ingredients list would look more like this:

  • 1 tbsp margarine (lactose-free household!)
  • About a quarter of a small white onion, chopped (I tend to eyeball things like that)
  • A sprinkle of garlic powder
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (A typical can of this stuff is more than a cup, but definitely measure it. I eyeballed it and it was a little too pumpkin-y!)
  • About a cup of chopped canned peppers (Turns out I have no idea what chipotle peppers in adobo sauce even is - I could not find it anywhere! We eventually found peppers in a jar - just make sure they're not pickled!)
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch ground nutmeg
  • I also added about a tbsp of Frank's (to accomodate for the fact that I didn't get hot peppers) and a pinch of chili powder, along with a bit of pepper.  I omitted the sage and coriander.
I added in the substitute spices and the Frank's with the rest of the spices - and of course I tasted it as much as I could!  I did use too much pumpkin in mine - that's what I get for eyeballing it and not measuring - and my cinnamon poured out too fast, but otherwise this turned out pretty good!


Onions, garlic, and butter. Yum!


These are the peppers we finally found. They were with the pickles at Sobey's - but don't buy pickled ones!


Onion blend in chicken broth


Pumpkin goodness


The final result!

I found it was good with a bigger amount of pasta than I would normally have as compared to the sauce - I usually like a lot of sauce, but with this a small amount goes a long way.

Tyler wasn't a huge fan of this meal - I think it was because I did have too much pumpkin and cinnamon. It would've also been better with a tad more spice, I think, but everyone's taste is a little different there.

We just had it on top of regular white rotini, but I bet it'd be killer with rice or spaghetti squash too!

No comments:

Post a Comment